|Emergency Call Out - Call Now : 071 533 64 66
Rate: Call Out Fee : R680 then R420 per hour.
Most fires are caused by electrical faults than any other cause.
- Older residences often have aluminum wiring, which oxidizes and corrodes more easily than copper. If you suspect this, have it check out and if so, it would be wise to consider rewiring your home.
- Replace or fasten faulty or loose electrical outlet wall plates.
- A warning sign of inadequate power includes circuit breakers that trip continuously
- Do not use extension cords on a permanent basis.
- When choosing light bulbs, ensure that the bulb wattage matches the fixture requirements. Screw them in securely so they won’t overheat.
- Don’t run electrical cords under carpets or over nails or in high traffic areas.
- Don’t pull on the electrical cord to unplug it.
- Keep flammable materials away from electrical appliances and outlets.
- If an electrical cord feels warm to the touch, it may be an indication of too much current in the circuit or equipment.
- A burning odour is a clear indication of an overheated insulation and should be remedied immediately.
- Other things to look out for is flickering lights, discoloration of wall outlets, a tingling feeling when you touch an electrical appliance
- The easiest and most effective step you can take in preventing electrical fires, is not overloading your electrical circuit. Placing too much stress on a circuit can cause wires to spark.
- Minimize the amount of plugs you use in one outlet. Use as little power-strips as possible in your home, limiting each outlet to 2 plugs if possible.
- Check appliances and electrical wires for frayed wiring. This is a major electrical fire hazard. Replace or discard all old wiring. Frayed wires can be temporarily repaired with electrical tape, but this is not a permanent solution.
- In older buildings, fewer circuits are in use as in olden days not as many appliances existed. It is advisable to have an electrician install new circuit breakers on the electrical panel and rewire the residence.
- Never force a plug into an outlet.